Prep Time: 20 min
Philosophy: Dream it and you can make it your spring roll. Experiment with different herbs, flavors, and textures. Anything that can be your dinner's protein can be your topping.
- 1 pack rice paper
- 1 pack rice vermicelli: prepare per package instructions, strain
- 1 bunch mint: wash clean
- 1 bunch cilantro: wash clean
- 1 medium cucumber: cut into 3-4 inch strips and julienne, discard core
- choice of pineapple, mango, tart apple: cut to same size as cucumber
- protein (choice of shrimp, pork, thin omelette, smoked tofu, or whatever you dream of): boil, broil, pan fry to your heart's desire; ensure size is comparable to other toppings
- for sauce: an acid (lime juice or vinegar), sugar, and your choice of soy sauce, fish sauce, or hoisin sauce; garlic and chilies finely minced
- steaming hot water (tab is fine): for when you're ready to roll
- a tiny bit of olive oil
- Sauce: Remember this magic ratio, 1:1:1 (equal parts each of the acid, sugar, and base sauce). Stir well, taste, and add sweetness, saltiness, or tartness to your preference. Add garlic and chilies to taste.
- On your plate, rub some olive oil to help with stickiness. Feel free to coat some on your hands too. Lay out a wrapper that you have dipped in the hot water. Assemble ingredients along the bottom edge of the wrapper closest to you, leaving about 2 inches uncovered on each side. Tip: whatever you put down first will be the most prominent color on your roll. Fold uncovered sides inward. Then, tightly roll the wrapper, beginning at the end. Take a bit bite and enjoy!