papaya mango salad
Prep Time: 30 min
Philosophy: The sauce should be to taste. Feel free to add your own crunch factor and fresh herbs, such as carrots and basil leaves.
- Shaved crunch factors:
- 1 green papaya
- 1 green mango (or regular mango, but pick a hard one)
- 1 large bowl of cold/icey water
- Sauce (mix below together - adjust quantity to salad volume, keeping the base proportion; remember to adjust to taste):
- 1 shot fish sauce (substitute with soy sauce or vegetarian fish sauce as required)
- 1 shot lime juice
- 1 shot sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely minced garlic and chilies
- Fresh mint and/or cilantro, finely chopped
- Optional: crunchy roasted peanuts (or other nuts as desired), lightly mashed
- Optional: rice crackers to scoop up salad when done
- For the crunchy papaya and mango (instructions as demonstrated during class): After peeling, hold papaya or mango steady in non-dominant hand. With chopping motion, hack into the fruit steadily and carefully, aiming to create fine strands at the end. Once hacked, use a sharp peeler to shave the thin strands into the icey water. Continue until finished or desired volume is achieved. Soak in the water for at least 15 minutes. Strand and let dry.
- Mix crunchy veggies well together with sauce. Top with fresh herbs and peanuts.